So, here's the thing. Despite the numerous hours I spend in front of the TV, I don't actually watch a lot of shows unless they're animated or on one of those kids channels. Very few live-action shows grab my interest from day one, and the few shows I do get interested in are either cancelled (Moonlight, Kings, Undercovers, The Cape), I drop (Royal Pains, Burn Notice, Fairly Legal, US version of Being Human), or I never get around to watching (The Good Wife, Nikita remake). In fact, White Collar is probably the only non-animated, not kid-oriented American show I'm still following right now, and it's not even on network television. I think I have horrible luck with choosing shows, I swear.
However, I don't know if it's because I'm not doing much with my life right now or what, but I've been looking up some upcoming shows for Fall 2011, and I find myself wanting to at least check out a few of them. With my luck, they'll all be cancelled after one season (or less), but it never hurts to try, right?
Note: This only lists network TV premieres. I haven't bothered to check if there were any new shows coming out on basic cable.
1) Revenge - premieres Wednesday, September 21, 10/9c on ABC

Emily Thorne (Emily Van Camp) is new to the Hamptons. She's met some of her wealthy neighbors, has made a few new friends and seemingly blends into the town. But something is a little odd about a young girl living in a wealthy town all on her own, and the truth is that Emily isn't exactly new to the neighborhood. In fact, this was once her old neighborhood, until something bad happened that ruined her family and their reputation. Now Emily is back, and she's returned to right some of those wrongs in the best way she knows how – with a vengeance. (ABC website)
This is my most anticipated drama of the bunch. Yes, they could probably think of a better title. Whatever. I love a good revenge story; it's my favorite type of plot when done right, so of course I'm planning to check it out anyway. But apparently it's a loose adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I adored the novel, and though I'm normally iffy on adaptations, I also enjoyed the movie starring Jim Caviezel. So unless something is terribly wrong with the execution, I'll probably like this too. Please, please let this be good!
2) Ringer - premieres Tuesday, September 13, 9/8c on CW

Bridget is six months sober and starting to turn her life around when she is the sole witness to a professional hit. Despite the assurances of her FBI protector, Agent Victor Machado, Bridget knows her life is on the line. She flees to New York, telling no one, not even her Narcotics Anonymous sponsor, Malcolm. In New York, Bridget reunites with her estranged twin, Siobhan. Wealthy, pampered and married to the strikingly handsome Andrew Martin, Siobhan lives what appears to be a fairy tale life – a life where no one knows that Bridget exists. The sisters seem to be mending their frayed relationship, until Siobhan disappears overboard during a boat trip, and Bridget makes the split decision to take on her sister's identity. She discovers shocking secrets, not only about her sister and her marriage, but also about Siobhan's best friend, Gemma, and Gemma's husband, Henry. And when someone tries to kill Bridget in her sister's penthouse, she realizes she is no safer as Siobhan than she is as herself. (CW website)
Confession time: I only watched one episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I'm not really a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar. However, I'm very intrigued by the plot; it should keep me on the edge of my seat. So many questions just from reading the summary: How did the sisters get estranged? Will anyone find out Bridget is pretending to be Siobhan? What the heck did Siobhan get herself in to, anyway? Hmmmmmmmm.
3) Prime Suspect - premieres Thursday, September 22, 10/9c on NBC

The series stars Maria Bello ("A History of Violence") as tough-as-nails NYPD homicide Detective Jane Timoney, an outsider who has just transferred to a new squad where her new colleagues already dislike her. Jane is confident and focused - and also rude, abrupt and occasionally reckless. She has her vices, and rumors of a questionable past follow her everywhere - but at the end of the day, she's an instinctively brilliant cop who can't be distracted from the only important thing: the prime suspect. (NBC website)
This is a US adaptation of the British series, which starred Helen Mirren. Personally, I have nothing against US adaptations (see the previously mentioned Being Human), but perhaps others might feel differently. The main reason why I'm checking it out is because I'm hoping Bello's Jane Timoney will fill a void that the departure of Mary Shannon and In Plain Sight will leave once it's over next spring.
4) Grimm - premieres Friday, October 21, 9/8c on NBC

Portland homicide Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli, "Turn The Beat Around") discovers he is descended from an elite line of criminal profilers known as "Grimms," charged with keeping balance between humanity and the mythological creatures of the world. As he tries to hide the dangers of his new found calling from his fiancé, Juliette Silverton, (Bitsie Tulloch, "quarterlife"), and his partner, Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby, "Lincoln Heights"), he becomes ever more entrenched in the ancient rivalries and alliances of the Grimm world. With help from his confidant, Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell, "Prison Break"), a reformed Grimm creature himself, Nick must navigate through the forces of a larger-than-life mythology, facing off with Hexenbiests, Blutbads and all manner of ancient evils, including royal lines dating back to the original profilers themselves, The Grimm Brothers. (NBC website)
The first of two fairy tale reimaginings, another one of my favorite story types. I'm very intrigued by the premise. How vast is the Grimm world going to be? How many familiar character will I encounter? How does the world stay hidden? And how many other shows take place in Portland, Oregon?
5) Once Upon a Time - premieres Sunday, October 23, 8/7c on ABC

And they all lived happily ever after – or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything starts to change. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world. Of course Emma doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close… where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell. (ABC website)
I'm getting not one, but two fairy tale reimaginings! It'll nice to compare and contrast between this and Grimm. How come the fairytale characters in Storybrooke don't remember who they are? Also, didn't the Grimm Brothers also have a Snow White story? Will Grimm have their own version of Snow White? So many questions.
6) Unforgettable - premieres Tuesday, September 20, 10/9c on CBS

UNFORGETTABLE stars Poppy Montgomery as Carrie Wells, an enigmatic former police detective with a rare condition that makes her memory so flawless that every place, every conversation, every moment of joy and every heartbreak is forever embedded in her mind. It's not just that she doesn't forget anything - she can't; except for one thing: the details that would help solve her sister's long-ago murder. Carrie has tried to put her past behind her, but she's unexpectedly reunited with her ex-boyfriend and partner, NYPD Detective Al Burns (Dylan Walsh), when she consults on a homicide case. His squad includes Det. Mike Costello (Michael Gaston), Al's right-hand man; Detective Roe Saunders (Kevin Rankin), the junior member of the team; and Detective Nina Inara (Daya Vaidya), a sassy, street-smart cop. Being back on the job after a break feels surprisingly right for Carrie. Despite her conflicted feelings for Al, she decides to permanently join his unit as a detective solving homicides - most notably, the unsolved murder of her sister. All she needs to do is remember. (CBS website)
Carrie Well's perfect memory is the draw for me, as is the mystery of what happened to her sister and why she can't remember what happened. I don't particulary care for the ex-boyfriend business.
7) Person of Interest - premieres Thursday, September 22, 9/8c on CBS

PERSON OF INTEREST stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson and Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent, Reese, who teams up with a mysterious billionaire, Finch, to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese's special training in covert operations appeals to Finch, a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law, using Reese's adept skills and Finch's unlimited wealth to unravel the mystery of the "person of interest" and stop the crime before it happens. Reese's actions draw the attention of the NYPD, including homicide detective Carter, and Fusco, a cop whom Reese uses to his advantage. With infinite crimes to investigate, Reese and Finch find that the right person, with the right information, at the right time, can change everything. (CBS website)
Speaking of Jim Caviezel, there he is! The screenplay was written by J.J Abrams (Felicity, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Undercovers) and Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight). Out of all those shows I listed from Abrams, I only watched Undercovers (Which got cancelled. Just as well because I lost interest at some point) and one episode of Felicity, and I didn't care for The Dark Knight that much (I thought it was too long), so I don't particularly care about either of them (Though I have been meaning to check out Fringe). I DO like the plot, though. Could be a fun watch.
8) A Gifted Man - premieres Friday, September 23, 8/7c on CBS

Michael Holt (Patrick Wilson) is an exceptional doctor who lives a materialistic life of luxury thanks to his work-obsessed career and powerful and wealthy patients; however, Michael's ordered world is rocked when his ex-wife, Anna (Jennifer Ehle), an idealistic free-clinic doctor and the love of his life, mysteriously appears to him. Michael's off-beat sister, Christina (Julie Benz), a single mom to her teenaged son, Milo (Liam Aiken), is thrilled that Anna's back in her brother's life, even as an "illusion," because Michael was always a better person with her. Curious about Michael's sudden change in behavior is his efficient assistant, Rita (Margo Martindale). When Anna asks Michael to go to her clinic to help keep it running, he meets Autumn (Afton Williamson), a volunteer carrying on Anna's work with the underprivileged. Touched by those in need and accepting of Anna's compassionate "presence," Michael's attitude toward serving the rich and poor is turned upside down, and he begins to see that there's room in his life for everyone. (CBS website)
This looks like a sweet story. My only drawback: the main character is a doctor. I can't seem to get into medical dramas; heck, the only medical show I followed was Royal Pains, and I dropped that after one season. If there's too much of a focus on the medical aspect of this, I'm out. Hopefully I won't need to worry about that; based on the summary, this looks to be more about Michael Holt's change of attitude. Question: Who decided to leave whom in this relationship?
More notes:
- I seem to be lacking in new comedies. I'm banking on not needing to watch those from the beginning.
- A majority of the shows I'm checking out seem to be crime procedurals of some sort. Huh, looks like I have a drama type after all.
- With the exception of the two fairy tale shows, all of them take place somewhere in New York. New York, I love you, but a change of scenery would be nice, you know.
If there are any other new shows worth checking out, I'll update this list.
However, I don't know if it's because I'm not doing much with my life right now or what, but I've been looking up some upcoming shows for Fall 2011, and I find myself wanting to at least check out a few of them. With my luck, they'll all be cancelled after one season (or less), but it never hurts to try, right?
Note: This only lists network TV premieres. I haven't bothered to check if there were any new shows coming out on basic cable.
1) Revenge - premieres Wednesday, September 21, 10/9c on ABC
Emily Thorne (Emily Van Camp) is new to the Hamptons. She's met some of her wealthy neighbors, has made a few new friends and seemingly blends into the town. But something is a little odd about a young girl living in a wealthy town all on her own, and the truth is that Emily isn't exactly new to the neighborhood. In fact, this was once her old neighborhood, until something bad happened that ruined her family and their reputation. Now Emily is back, and she's returned to right some of those wrongs in the best way she knows how – with a vengeance. (ABC website)
This is my most anticipated drama of the bunch. Yes, they could probably think of a better title. Whatever. I love a good revenge story; it's my favorite type of plot when done right, so of course I'm planning to check it out anyway. But apparently it's a loose adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I adored the novel, and though I'm normally iffy on adaptations, I also enjoyed the movie starring Jim Caviezel. So unless something is terribly wrong with the execution, I'll probably like this too. Please, please let this be good!
2) Ringer - premieres Tuesday, September 13, 9/8c on CW
Bridget is six months sober and starting to turn her life around when she is the sole witness to a professional hit. Despite the assurances of her FBI protector, Agent Victor Machado, Bridget knows her life is on the line. She flees to New York, telling no one, not even her Narcotics Anonymous sponsor, Malcolm. In New York, Bridget reunites with her estranged twin, Siobhan. Wealthy, pampered and married to the strikingly handsome Andrew Martin, Siobhan lives what appears to be a fairy tale life – a life where no one knows that Bridget exists. The sisters seem to be mending their frayed relationship, until Siobhan disappears overboard during a boat trip, and Bridget makes the split decision to take on her sister's identity. She discovers shocking secrets, not only about her sister and her marriage, but also about Siobhan's best friend, Gemma, and Gemma's husband, Henry. And when someone tries to kill Bridget in her sister's penthouse, she realizes she is no safer as Siobhan than she is as herself. (CW website)
Confession time: I only watched one episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I'm not really a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar. However, I'm very intrigued by the plot; it should keep me on the edge of my seat. So many questions just from reading the summary: How did the sisters get estranged? Will anyone find out Bridget is pretending to be Siobhan? What the heck did Siobhan get herself in to, anyway? Hmmmmmmmm.
3) Prime Suspect - premieres Thursday, September 22, 10/9c on NBC
The series stars Maria Bello ("A History of Violence") as tough-as-nails NYPD homicide Detective Jane Timoney, an outsider who has just transferred to a new squad where her new colleagues already dislike her. Jane is confident and focused - and also rude, abrupt and occasionally reckless. She has her vices, and rumors of a questionable past follow her everywhere - but at the end of the day, she's an instinctively brilliant cop who can't be distracted from the only important thing: the prime suspect. (NBC website)
This is a US adaptation of the British series, which starred Helen Mirren. Personally, I have nothing against US adaptations (see the previously mentioned Being Human), but perhaps others might feel differently. The main reason why I'm checking it out is because I'm hoping Bello's Jane Timoney will fill a void that the departure of Mary Shannon and In Plain Sight will leave once it's over next spring.
4) Grimm - premieres Friday, October 21, 9/8c on NBC
Portland homicide Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli, "Turn The Beat Around") discovers he is descended from an elite line of criminal profilers known as "Grimms," charged with keeping balance between humanity and the mythological creatures of the world. As he tries to hide the dangers of his new found calling from his fiancé, Juliette Silverton, (Bitsie Tulloch, "quarterlife"), and his partner, Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby, "Lincoln Heights"), he becomes ever more entrenched in the ancient rivalries and alliances of the Grimm world. With help from his confidant, Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell, "Prison Break"), a reformed Grimm creature himself, Nick must navigate through the forces of a larger-than-life mythology, facing off with Hexenbiests, Blutbads and all manner of ancient evils, including royal lines dating back to the original profilers themselves, The Grimm Brothers. (NBC website)
The first of two fairy tale reimaginings, another one of my favorite story types. I'm very intrigued by the premise. How vast is the Grimm world going to be? How many familiar character will I encounter? How does the world stay hidden? And how many other shows take place in Portland, Oregon?
5) Once Upon a Time - premieres Sunday, October 23, 8/7c on ABC
And they all lived happily ever after – or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything starts to change. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world. Of course Emma doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close… where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell. (ABC website)
I'm getting not one, but two fairy tale reimaginings! It'll nice to compare and contrast between this and Grimm. How come the fairytale characters in Storybrooke don't remember who they are? Also, didn't the Grimm Brothers also have a Snow White story? Will Grimm have their own version of Snow White? So many questions.
6) Unforgettable - premieres Tuesday, September 20, 10/9c on CBS
UNFORGETTABLE stars Poppy Montgomery as Carrie Wells, an enigmatic former police detective with a rare condition that makes her memory so flawless that every place, every conversation, every moment of joy and every heartbreak is forever embedded in her mind. It's not just that she doesn't forget anything - she can't; except for one thing: the details that would help solve her sister's long-ago murder. Carrie has tried to put her past behind her, but she's unexpectedly reunited with her ex-boyfriend and partner, NYPD Detective Al Burns (Dylan Walsh), when she consults on a homicide case. His squad includes Det. Mike Costello (Michael Gaston), Al's right-hand man; Detective Roe Saunders (Kevin Rankin), the junior member of the team; and Detective Nina Inara (Daya Vaidya), a sassy, street-smart cop. Being back on the job after a break feels surprisingly right for Carrie. Despite her conflicted feelings for Al, she decides to permanently join his unit as a detective solving homicides - most notably, the unsolved murder of her sister. All she needs to do is remember. (CBS website)
Carrie Well's perfect memory is the draw for me, as is the mystery of what happened to her sister and why she can't remember what happened. I don't particulary care for the ex-boyfriend business.
7) Person of Interest - premieres Thursday, September 22, 9/8c on CBS
PERSON OF INTEREST stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson and Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent, Reese, who teams up with a mysterious billionaire, Finch, to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese's special training in covert operations appeals to Finch, a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law, using Reese's adept skills and Finch's unlimited wealth to unravel the mystery of the "person of interest" and stop the crime before it happens. Reese's actions draw the attention of the NYPD, including homicide detective Carter, and Fusco, a cop whom Reese uses to his advantage. With infinite crimes to investigate, Reese and Finch find that the right person, with the right information, at the right time, can change everything. (CBS website)
Speaking of Jim Caviezel, there he is! The screenplay was written by J.J Abrams (Felicity, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Undercovers) and Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight). Out of all those shows I listed from Abrams, I only watched Undercovers (Which got cancelled. Just as well because I lost interest at some point) and one episode of Felicity, and I didn't care for The Dark Knight that much (I thought it was too long), so I don't particularly care about either of them (Though I have been meaning to check out Fringe). I DO like the plot, though. Could be a fun watch.
8) A Gifted Man - premieres Friday, September 23, 8/7c on CBS
Michael Holt (Patrick Wilson) is an exceptional doctor who lives a materialistic life of luxury thanks to his work-obsessed career and powerful and wealthy patients; however, Michael's ordered world is rocked when his ex-wife, Anna (Jennifer Ehle), an idealistic free-clinic doctor and the love of his life, mysteriously appears to him. Michael's off-beat sister, Christina (Julie Benz), a single mom to her teenaged son, Milo (Liam Aiken), is thrilled that Anna's back in her brother's life, even as an "illusion," because Michael was always a better person with her. Curious about Michael's sudden change in behavior is his efficient assistant, Rita (Margo Martindale). When Anna asks Michael to go to her clinic to help keep it running, he meets Autumn (Afton Williamson), a volunteer carrying on Anna's work with the underprivileged. Touched by those in need and accepting of Anna's compassionate "presence," Michael's attitude toward serving the rich and poor is turned upside down, and he begins to see that there's room in his life for everyone. (CBS website)
This looks like a sweet story. My only drawback: the main character is a doctor. I can't seem to get into medical dramas; heck, the only medical show I followed was Royal Pains, and I dropped that after one season. If there's too much of a focus on the medical aspect of this, I'm out. Hopefully I won't need to worry about that; based on the summary, this looks to be more about Michael Holt's change of attitude. Question: Who decided to leave whom in this relationship?
More notes:
- I seem to be lacking in new comedies. I'm banking on not needing to watch those from the beginning.
- A majority of the shows I'm checking out seem to be crime procedurals of some sort. Huh, looks like I have a drama type after all.
- With the exception of the two fairy tale shows, all of them take place somewhere in New York. New York, I love you, but a change of scenery would be nice, you know.
If there are any other new shows worth checking out, I'll update this list.